Friday, December 9, 2016

Days 7 and 8 Mui Ne


Following the opening of the school, I was driven to Mui Ne, a beach resort, by a man who worked for the local Xuyen Moc school district. He spoke some English but didn't seem to know the way and stopped every 30 min to ask directions. I was worried he would get lost on the return. The roads were generally very good. We drove by many dragon fruit orchards. After more than 3 hours we arrived in Mui Ne. I think this place is about as touristy as it gets in Vietnam! Wall to wall resorts. I'm staying at the Little Mui Ne Cottages, a lovely mid priced boutique resort. My room has a view of the ocean and there is a nice pool. I think I am the only guest here that is not Russian. For some reason Mui Ne is very popular with Russians to the point that they may out number the locals and many signs are in Russian. I actually went to restaurant that had menus only in Russian!

Fishing and tourism are the main livelihoods here. There are many colourful fishing boats in the harbour, and small round fishing boats paddled by the local fisherman. The locals also fish with nets from the shore for small fish and clams. 

The second morning in Mui Ne I took a jeep tour of the area, including the white and red sand dunes and a local harbour where they were bring in the catch of the day, including crabs, squid, lobster and small fish. The highlight was going to the white dunes for sunrise. I got an ATV ride through the smaller dunes to the big dunes, which was a lot of fun. 

The following are some photos from the last two days. I'm heading back to HCMC tomorrow and back to Toronto on Sunday am.













No comments:

Post a Comment