Saturday, May 29, 2010

The Sleep Situation - Part 2

As I mentioned in previous posts, we were able to get Maya to go from 3-4 wakings per night to 1 on average by using a sleep machine. Then we needed to transition her out of our bed into the adjacent crib. For the last month the only way we could do this was either to let her fall asleep in our bed or for me to jump in the crib with her until she fell asleep (this was actually my preferred method as I could escape from the crib sooner).

Recently we've had a breakthrough. I've been able to get her to fall asleep twice in the crib (without me jumping in) by moving her bedtime 30 minutes later ( a tip i picked up in a book called "Sleep Solutions for your Baby, Toddler and Preschooler", by Ann Douglas. This book has a number of "sleep tools" to train babies and toddlers to sleep on their own. My sister Pam gave it to me. She was actually interviewed for the book, having had significant sleep challenges with both of her boys). Mike and I have also started sleeping in the guest room, leaving Maya alone in our room. For three nights in a row, she apparently sleep through the night!!!

Let's hope it's a trend that continues. If so, we'll feel better about moving Maya to her own room.

No comments:

Post a Comment