Saturday, January 2, 2016

First Day in Hanoi

 Less than flattering selfie in front of temple on Hoan Kiem Lake
 On balcony eating dinner, street view behind
Pho ba, a little light on ba and flavour

I arrived here yesterday at about 10 am. I flew Cathay Pacific via Hong Kong. It was generally a smooth flight but for some reason I had a couple waves of bad nausea.  Not fun when you are in a middle seat! Fortunately,  I had some Gravol which served the dual purpose of conquering the nausea and helping me sleep.

Upon arriving in Hanoi and leaving baggage claim, I was met a driver from the hotel I had booked.  Smooth sailing.  My observation driving into town was "wow there seems to be way more cars" than there were in Ho chi Minh City six years ago.

I am staying at the Impressive Hotel in the Old Quarter. While the accommodations are adequate, the service is beyond impressive.

I am centrally located here on a narrow street near the Cathedral and Hoan Kiem Lake. Yesterday I walked around the lake and visited the small temple at the north end. The path was busy with tourists and Hanoians enjoying a Saturday afternoon.

I then headed south to the Women's Museum, which I had read was worth a visit. It was interesting to see a museum devoted entirely to the work and role of women, particularly in a developing country and left me wondering what the men were doing! They showed an interesting documentary on the women who sell produce in the streets of Hanoi for weeks at a time to make money to support their rural families while the men stay at home watching the kids.

After the museum I headed back toward my hotel and stopped at a mediocre restaurant with a nice view of the Cathedral square. I ordered pho ba, which is really more of a breakfast dish.  It hit the spot although I have to say I prefer the more flavourful pho that we get at a local vietnamese restaurant in Mississauga.







1 comment:

  1. Glad you made it safe and sound! Yes this past summer I too noticed that there were many more cars in hcmc than in 2010…and the driving was even a bit more organized with more traffic lights etc….look forward to more updates!

    ReplyDelete