Monday, January 11, 2016

Days 9 and 10 - Bac Ha Market and Sapa

On Saturday night, I took the night train north to Lao Cai. From there we took a bus to the Bac Ha market.  What a feast for the eyes!  It was definitely the most colourful market I had ever seen, with fruits, vegetables, meat, handicrafts, chickens, dogs, and buffalo for sale.  The most interesting part was watching the local ethnic people. Most were Flower Hmong, and they dress in beautiful multicoloured tunics with colourful scarves on their heads. My photos here are from my cellphone and don't do the market justice! 

 After the market, we headed to Sapa, a hill station in the mountains, which reminded me a little of Switzerland. The next day I went trekking  through the valley, visiting local villages and observing the rice fields, how they husk rice, and local artisans.  We were accompanied by Black Hmong women, also very colourfully dressed, who were trying to sell their handicrafts.  Unfortunately, all my best photos are on my Nikon and I will have to post them later. All in all, Sapa was well worth the visit to see the colourful local people and the beautiful rice fields.

Flower Hmong woman selling vegetables
Beautiful assortment of fresh fruit for sale
Black Hmong women in Sapa, snacking on sugar cane
View of rice fields in valley below Sapa
Weaving loom and intricately designed fabrics, dyed using local indigo plant
Many Black Hmong women carried young babies on their backs while trekking many kilometers



No comments:

Post a Comment