Sunday, June 27, 2010

Rain on the Parade

Aidan finished school on Friday and we were all looking forward to the neighbourhood's annual parade and carnival in the local park. I was especially looking forward to Maya participating this year and possibly having her first pony ride. But it rained. Aidan went to the parade in the rain but the carnival was basically cancelled.



Not only that, Maya got a high fever and threw up Friday night and was still feeling pretty miserable Saturday. So she wouldn't have been able to go anyway. She was experiencing a lot of teething pain to boot.



Her illness threw a wrench in our plans to move her to her new room. She ended up sleeping with us two nights in a row and was up pretty much every hour both nights. Just when life was getting a little easier and I was almost caught up on my sleep!

By Monday, Aidan was sick and by Tuesday so was I.


The drama didn't end there - my elderly mom ended up having some rather significant rib pain on Friday afternoon. After taking her to "urgent" care (which took 5 hours), she was prescribed a strong pain killer. I insisted she stay with us Friday night as we weren't certain what was causing her pain. In the morning, I found her lying in bed with a big gash on the side of her neck. Turns out she took 2 (strong) pain pills instead of one, got very dizzy in the middle of the night when getting up to use the bathroom, and fell. Somehow I didn't hear any of this despite being up every hour with Maya. We are now extremely concerned about her continuing to live independently.

Fun times.

So yes, it rained on the parade literally and figuratively.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like life is throwing you a few curves...I'm sure you will sort things out. Hope you are all healthy again and will be able to deal with the changes in your mom's life....it isn't easy....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Francesca. Unfortunately, I just finished dealing with a year-long crisis with two elderly relatives (a childless uncle and aunt, who were also the victims of elder abuse) on top of the adoption. I was only recently feeling a bit rested physically and emotionally. We are now gearing up to be in crisis mode again. At some point I'll do a post on "The Sandwich Generation" or "The Club Sandwich Generation" (more applicable to my situation :). I think it may resonate with adoptive parents who tend to be older and more likely to be dealing with declining parents at the same time as young children.

    ReplyDelete