Saturday, April 3, 2010

Rough Re-Entry

I haven't posted in a few days because we are all suffering bad jet lag and not sleeping well at night.

Poor Maya was somewhat traumatized by the change in scenery between Vietnam and Canada and cried all the way from the airport to our house. Although she had slept well on the flight, she suffered an allergic reaction from a wheat roll we had given her on our flight from HCMC to Hong Kong. Her skin was terrible.

She refuses to sleep in her crib in our room and will only sleep with me. We have tried a few times without success to get her to sleep in the crib. I have decided that she needs to sleep with us until she can sleep better - she is waking up partly because she is scared and partly because she is starving. the orphanage had her on formula and rice cereal only. she desperately wants solids. however, we need to introduce them slowly as we have already identified at least one food allergy.

Hopefully she will start to sleep better soon!

5 comments:

  1. Well, your house is the right house for an allergy! I hope things settle down over the next little while...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our arrival home was very difficult too! Sleep with her as long as she needs it and you can handle it. We've been home 4 1/2 months and Molly sleeps in her crib half the night and the rest in our bed. She sleeps well in both... and we're working on us sleeping well too!
    Good luck with the allergies and the solid foods.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maya is eating more at night than during the day - guzzles 3 8 oz bottles during the night since we have arrived. She goes to sleep at 8:30 and wakes roughly at 11:30, 1, 2:30 and 4 for feeds - we are trying to tank her up before bedtime but so far no improvement - suggestions welcomed!!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Xavier is an awful sleeper as well. We actually consult with this wonderful pediatrician who specializes in nutrition. I will bring our list of reccomendations from him tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, sleep with her as long as you want! My boys refused to ever sleep with me and a year later I wish I'd forced the issue as now I worry about attachment.

    I found the hardest part of night feedings was preparing the bottles, so I made the night bottles before going to bed, and kept them nearby in a thermal pack.

    ReplyDelete